A judge has declared the trial canceled due to coronavirus infections in proceedings against a father accused of murdering his 13-year-old son in Colorado eight years ago.
Defense attorneys for Mark Redwine, 55, reported that several of them were showing symptoms in La Plata County Court on Monday.
Judge Jeffrey Wilson – who himself had to be tested last week – said the trial would be postponed while noting the grief of Dylan Redwine’s family whose “life has been on hold since 2012”.
District Attorney Christian Champagne questioned the ‘recent behavior’ of one of Redwine’s defense attorneys, saying his colleague was seen washing his car with another person outside his home without mask over the weekend.
“If any of the defense teams claim symptoms of COVID-19 … but fail to meet quarantine requirements, that certainly undermines their position,” Champagne said according to the Denver Post.
Mark Redwine (left) is charged with the murder of his 13-year-old son, Dylan (right) while the boy was on a court-ordered visit to his father’s home near the Vallecito Reservoir, northeast of Durango .
A massive seven-month search ensued after Dylan went missing (pictured: volunteers in Durango, Colorado)
Mark Redwine makes his first court appearance in Durango, Colorado, August 2017
John Moran replied, “Respond to what was going on in front of my house? I don’t know how to answer whether or not I was wearing a mask in my backyard.
Dylan’s family reacted with fury outside of court on Monday, saying they had rented a house for the trial and it took a heavy mental toll to prepare.
“We take time off and pretty much left our lives to come here and then let it happen and here we are again come home empty handed. It’s so frustrating, ”said Dylan’s older brother Cory. Denver 7.
“It’s just heartbreaking that the rights of victims and everything in between are being ignored.”
Cory Redwine has said he does not believe the defense team is taking enough precautions to prevent infection with the coronavirus and believes the trial will now be postponed until at least next year.
“It’s just another way out for the defense, in my opinion. It looks like they pretty much get what they want, ”he told the broadcaster.
Dylan went missing during a court-ordered visit to his father, Mark, for Thanksgiving in 2012.
The child’s remains were found seven months later scattered across the mountains of southwestern Colorado by wild animals.
Redwine was arrested on a fugitive warrant in Washington in July 2017 and then charged by a grand jury with second degree murder and child abuse resulting in death after five years of investigation.
Redwine has consistently denied having played a role in his son’s death and at one point Dr Phil blamed his ex-wife for the child’s death.
In the grand jury indictment, investigators said blood was found in several places in Redwine’s living room, including his sofa.
Dylan’s parents made headlines after blaming each other for their son’s death and even made appearances on national TV shows such as Dr Phil in 2013 (pictured)
Corpse dogs also found the scent of a corpse in various places around the house and on the clothes Redwine wore the night Dylan went missing, according to the indictment.
In 2014, a dog detected the scent of a body in the bed of Redwine’s van, according to the indictment.
Dylan lived north of Colorado Springs with his mother, but had visited his father’s house near the Vallecito Reservoir, northeast of Durango.
His father said he returned home after shopping to find his son was gone. The two parents then blamed each other for the disappearance of their son.
In June 2013, Dylan’s partial remains were found at Middle Mountain.
Hikers found his skull a mile and a half away in November 2015.
Video shows the moment Redwine was arrested on a fugitive warrant while driving his truck in Washington state in July 2017
Investigators said Dylan’s skull was found on difficult terrain that was easily accessible by a road Redwine was very familiar with.
The skull had injuries consistent with blunt trauma and two small marks that appeared to be tool marks from a knife, according to the indictment.
Redwine’s is one of many jury trials that have been suspended in Colorado amid a growing number of coronavirus cases, including courts in Denver, Boulder, Jefferson, Gilpin, Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln.
In his dismissal order, Wilson J. wrote: “The Court, for the reasons stated in the record and without ruling on the veracity of the allegations, concludes that even if such allegations are true, the Court did not rule on the veracity of the allegations. no choice but to… declare the trial quashed to ensure that Mr. Redwine has the assistance of a lawyer.